Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pumpkin bars

mmmm pumpkin bars........... No pictures with this post, just sharing. I made pumpkin bars today and finally just had some. They are delicious. This is the first time I've used real pumpkin, from the pumpkins I cooked yesterday. I found that pureeing them is super easy using the large freezer bags. Just measure how much you want to freeze, stick it in the bag, then mash the tar out of it. It was pretty fun, and Addysen wasn't even helping!!
So here is my recipe for pumpkin bars. It is tweaked from the better homes and garden cook book. (If you want that recipe just ask.)

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves
4 beaten eggs
1/2 cup olive oil*
1/2 cup water*
2 cups cooked pumpkin puree

*the original recipe called for 1 cup oil. To cut calories I only used half but I'm sure you could cut out the oil entirely and use 1 cup water. They will be a little less fluffy but just as tasty.

Mix all dry ingrediants in a big bowl. Add eggs, oil, water, and pumpkin and mix well. Pour in a 13 x 9 (metal) cake pan and cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. (I use a silicone cake pan and they take a bit longer to cook, about 40-45 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the middle to make sure it's done.)

Top with cream cheese frosting and eat up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment