Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Keep Calm Craft On {crafting on}

"The act of creating, in one form or another, preserves my sanity amongst the chaos of life. This explains why I always have more than one project going at a time as well as why my housework tends to fall behind. I enjoy seeing what others are working on and keeping calm with, too. What are you creating? What is keeping you going? Snap a picture and share it with the rest of us by leaving your link below." -Frontier Dreams


When I stumbled upon the blog Frontier Dreams, (linked above!) and found this thread of crafting on, I thought I was finally in the right place! Oh, how many times a day do I find myself just making something instead of doing the dishes. I would rather knit than fold laundry. I would rather sew than pick up toys! And I thought I found the right little place to share that with. 

 This past week, I've finished a giant pair of longies for Christmas for A. Not an easy feat! This being only my second pair I've ever made, I didn't realize what I'd gotten into. No, they weren't a hard knit, but long!! Like, 18 inches long for each leg!! But, they are done and are getting ready to be tucked away for December. She loves them and has already seen them, but the fact that she is just as excited and had a say in them is wonderful! It all started a few weeks ago when she saw the pair I had made for her brother. Then, she asked for one for her. So, I got the bright idea to make her and her sister their own pair to open up on Christmas Eve, instead of flannel pants. (I still might make some matching flannel pjs.) So, now, with two pairs done, I have E's left to cast on, which I will probably wait a while to do. I need a break from longies. Just a small one! Luckily, I have about a million other projects to keep me busy.  
 Aren't these ruffles fun? I am SO kicking myself for being too intimidated to knit some up for E while she was still in diapers. At least there are a few little girls I can make some for that I know! 

Then, on Sunday night, A and I started looking through Ravelry patterns for Amigurumi dolls. Then she saw the cat pattern and begged me to start one for her! So, we dug through my (small) stash and found about 3/4 of a skein of bright red yarn left of from J's grampie sweater. Before I even started this cat, I said a prayer that I hoped I would have enough yarn to finish. After some major tweaking to the pattern- it called for fingering weight yarn and I do not do fingering! I used bulky for this! A little kitty cat, (bear?) was born. I had to ask A for every detail to make it just right. And she's in love! Here is Sally the red cat: 



Also, I ended up with inches left of red yarn! She's perfect! 
Also, Ravelry notes are found here and here for anyone who is interested! 

No comments:

Post a Comment